Job Title: General Counsel
Company Operating Name: Cronos Group
This is a full-time, permanent position.
Start date: August 2017
Area of Specialization
- Legal advisory; regulatory advisory; mergers & acquisitions; securities law; capital markets.
- Law degree from a top tier accredited Canadian or American law school.
- 4 – 5 years of experience in an in-house legal role advising clients with multi-national operations on general legal matters, with extensive regulatory advisory experience.
- 3 – 4 years of experience at a Tier 1 global law firm advising large-cap public companies on cross-border mergers & acquisitions and general corporate law; specific experience with structuring and negotiating large scale alcohol and/or pharma joint ventures and merger & acquisitions.
- Extensive experience advising various internal stakeholders on the interpretation and analysis of complex and dynamic legislation and regulatory policy across multiple jurisdictions and assessing potential business impact and opportunity.
- Extensive experience advising companies with multi-national operations specifically on operating under newly implemented and unprecedented regulatory regimes, in both domestic and foreign jurisdictions.
- Experience representing companies in external industry groups or associations and supporting advocacy efforts on behalf of the company on complex regulatory issues.
- Familiarity with securities law, regulatory reporting and SRO exchange policies applicable to publically traded companies in either Canada or in major financial markets.
- Experience advising public companies on large and complex cross-border transactions.
- Experience negotiating and drafting definitive transaction documents (shareholder agreements, joint venture agreements, financing agreements, public filings and general corporate contracts).
- Experience dealing with multiple stakeholders including management, investors and professional advisors.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work independently while prioritizing competing demands.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including availability on evening and weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advising the company on general corporate law.
- Advising the company on possible implications of the newly enacted Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (“ACMPR”); the Cannabis Act (2017), once enacted, and accompanying regulations, once promulgated; as well as new and existing regulations in international jurisdictions as those medical cannabis markets open.
- Advising the company on securities law matters in Canada as well as other major financial centers.
- Advising the company on the structuring and negotiation of cross-border mergers and acquisitions, as well as organic growth opportunities.
- Remaining abreast of the changing regulatory environment in relation to cannabis and capital markets in Canada and in relevant international jurisdictions.
- Liaising with outside counsel, and facilitating legal functions within the organization.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating general corporate contracts, mergers and acquisitions documentation (terms sheets, definitive transaction documents, shareholder agreements, joint venture agreements), financing documentation, public filings and internal documents as necessary.
- Special projects as necessary
Location of Work
100% Toronto, Ontario
Must be willing to travel to other locations up to 10% of the time
- Annual salary: $175,000 CAD
- 225,000 company options struck at market
- Signing bonus: $13,840 CAD
- Discretionary bonus based on company performance
- No benefits plan; however, candidate would be eligible to participate in such a plan, if and when the company institutes one.
76 Stafford Street
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
76 Stafford Street, Suite 302
Toronto, Ontario M6J 2S1